Bags are Like People, they too grow old. Most of us still remember what exactly caused us to choose our Handbags. That day you went out shopping six years ago, you found the Tote Bag’s gorgeous looks irresistible. It ticked all the boxes, looked stylish, excellent quality, fashionable as well as functional. Little did you know the handbag’s beautiful looks would gradually disappear. Just like human beings who grow old, our handbags get worn out through constant use. The more exposure to stains and scuffs they get, the more ruined their looks become. Here are 8 tips for cleaning your handbag.
No matter how well you look after your leather bag, there is one thing you can’t do. You can’t stop it from ageing. What makes the difference, though, is that a bag which is cared for will look beautiful as a new one. Its ageing process will add character to it and most people will fall in love with such an ageing effect.
So, this is where this post comes in, to give you some tips for cleaning your Handbag. You may have been desperately looking for advice. Let me assure you that sound advice is here to bring your handbag back to life.
Why Clean My Designer Handbag?
Dye Transfer, Ink Stains, UV damage, Dirt built-up and bacteria are the main culprits. Dye Transfer building up on your handbag’s surface ruins your designer handbag’s once beautiful appearance. You need to find specialist cleaning treatment to reduce the marks and stains.
There are many handbag care products to choose from including water based products you can get from shops to help you prevent problems listed above from occurring. This is for all types of products designed for leather and even fabrics.
I covered a similar subject in my previous post entitled, Travel luggage: Is your handbag infested with germs? This post shows that cleaning your handbag is not just about focusing on exterior cleanliness. Instead, you need to make sure your handbag is clean both inside and outside.
Before you clean the interior of your bag, first empty all pockets and shake it gently to remove dust and debris. Wipe out the interior with a clean and soft cloth. Gently clean the interior part of your handbag with a fabric brush which comes with your vacuum.
How to Clean Your Handbag?
Did you know that most handbag manufactures write some guidelines to help their customers keep their products clean after purchase? Please note, not all bags come with such guidelines. However, I will give you a few examples of manufactures, smart enough to help their customers to look after their handbags.
Owen Barry Ltd is one such company which manufactures the Owen Barry Handbag. This company has come up with hints and tips for cleaning its product, the Suede Handbag. This company also welcomes customers who are facing problems with their handbags to come forward, including customers who prefer to bring their bags for cleaning in the workshop.
The Manufacturer Tips
Cleaning Your Suede Handbag
(1) Customers are advised to get rid of everyday grubbiness by brushing the Suede Bag with a dry scouring pad.
(2) To remove grease which can be stubborn, you must quickly apply a blotting or a certain type of powder such as French chalk.
(3) To remove mud and similar stains, allow it to dry first. Then use a scourer to remove it.
Birmingham Company, the manufacturer of Birmingham Bags, has expert knowledge in reducing the grime level to give your Handbag a fresh look by following these cleaning and care tips:
(1) You need to remove all the loose Superflex and base foam. Then, place your bag on a draining board.
(2) Wash your bag with warm soapy water, using a nail brush to remove dirt on stubborn areas.
(3) Wash all soap away with clear water and allow your handbag to dry naturally, for example, in an airing cupboard with less heat. Heat might affect the waterproofing.
(4) When the bag is dry, carefully apply leather dressing to the leather areas.
How to Clean Your Leather Bag
(1) Even leather products age with time, so they too need attention and constant pampering by moisturizing them.
(2) To moisturize your leather bag, it’s advisable that you use a leather care product on a regular basis which will replace oils that come off with ageing. Also, will keep the leather supple.
(3) If you buy a Nappa Leather Bag, a type of leather that feels very soft to touch, the ideal product to use is a water-based spray for protecting it from all sorts of things.
(4) Look for one product which does two jobs at once. A product which protects and dehydrates.
(5) Its recommended that you use a product that is specifically designed to care for your type of leather bag. Certainly, you can find products that have been recommended for protecting and cleaning your handbag.
(6) To maintain your leather bag, use a leather conditioner and protector which nourishes and protects. Protects in the sense that it creates a barrier that effectively repels liquids, dirt and stains.
(7) Clean the exterior of your leather bag with alcohol-free baby wipes.
(8) There is a range of Leather Care products created by handbag experts, with years of experience, working with leather.
(1) Don’t put your handbag into a washing machine because the detergent will ruin the leather.
(2) Some products will alter the look or feel of your leather handbag. Don’t use any product anyhow without cross-checking if it’s the right one.
(3) You should never use a product that contains Lanolin and please take caution when using baby wipes to clean your Handbag as they often contain it.
(4) To avoid Scratches to your bag, keep it away from sharp or metallic objects and be mindful of where you place it. Some places, like toilet floors, are infested with bacteria.
(5) Some people have applied polish to their handbags, with disastrous consequences. Usually, it changes the colour of your leather.
(6) For a handbag that needs a more thorough cleaning, you are better off leaving it in the hands of a professional who will use a specialist cleaning.
Hopefully, this post will give you the necessary hints and tips that you need for cleaning and maintaining your handbag so that it remains looking as good as new.
Keeping your handbag clean, is not just about focusing on cleaning the exterior part of your bag. It includes the interior as well as the surroundings, like the floor where you place your bag.
If you have any questions related to, 8 Tips For Cleaning Your Handbag, please feel free to leave them below. I will be more than happy to respond as soon as possible.